|Grade Level: Elementary, 5-8
|Description: The Robotics trunk is designed to help
teachers and students explore the concepts of robotics through
a series of discovery-oriented activities utilizing the Lego
Robotics Discovery Set.
|Designer: Ken Fay (UMPI science education graduate
|History: Designed in 2001 for the Northern Maine Museum
of Science Library of Traveling Trunks from grant monies received
from Maine School of Math and Science for NASA-related educational
|The Robotics trunk was designed using the following guidelines
established by the Maine State Learning Results
Science and Technology
A3 Describe and quantify the ways machines can provide
nmechanical advantages in producing motion
J. INQUIRY AND PROBLEM SOLVING
J1. Make accurate observations using appropriate tools
and units of measure.
J6. Design, construct, and test a device (invention) that
solves a special problem.
K. SCIENTIFIC REASONING
K6. Support reasoning by using a variety of evidence
K8. Construct logical arguments.
K9. Apply analogous reasoning.
L2. Define problem-solving strategies and solutions.
L3. Evaluate individual and group communications for clarity,
and work to improve communication.
L4. Make use of scale drawings, maps, and three-dimensional
models to represent real objects, find locations, and describe
L6. Identify and perform roles necessary to accomplish group
A. NUMBERS and NUMBER SENSE
- A3. Apply concepts of ratios, proportions, percents, and
number theory (i.e. primes, factors, multiples) in practical
and other mathematical situations.
- B. COMPUTATIONS
- B2. Create, solve, and justify the solution for multi-step,
real-life problems including those with ratios and proportions.
- E3. Use a coordinate system to define and locate position.
A. PREPARING FOR THE FUTURE
- A2. Use teamwork strategies and apply communication and
negotiation skills to decision making.
Modern and Classical Languages
B. READING, LISTENING, AND VIEWING FOR UNDERSTANDING
- B5. Read and interpret multi-step written instructions.
- B6. Read and interpret simple printed information such
as advertisement and posters.
Notebook: MSLR support, lessons plans, assessment,
3 binders (black) with copies of the Robotics Discovery Set
Videos: "Mars Past Present and Future", "NASA
CORE: Let's Talk Robotics"
Books & Publications:
- History of Robots (multiple downloads--Web site info)
- Introduction to Robots and Automated Systems, download
from Canadian Space Agency
- 1 Mars Pathfinder
- 5 laminated pictures of Mars
- 6 laminated information cards for programming robots
CD: Mars Pathfinder Web Site
Objects: Batteries, Extra Lego gears (3) and axles
(3), 2 Lego Mindstorms Robotics Discovery Sets